The specific objectives of the Committee are:
- To identify relevant and important topics for research through broad consultation with both professionals, patients and public representatives
- To develop methods to promote the development, funding and implementation of surgical research in breast disease
- To support and encourage the participation of surgeons in all aspects of trial design, development, implementation and recruitment
- To identify, train and support future surgical researchers' career through all career stages
- To promote collaboration and co-operation in the development and implementation of research and clinical trials
- To identify and participate in relevant research initiatives e.g. RCS Surgical Trials initiative
- To raise the profile of breast surgery through publication of new and existing data
- To encourage and facilitate patient and public participation in all stages of research development and implementation
- To promote engagement and interaction of surgeons in national and international research organisations
- To run workshops and other relevant events for the network and ABS members
The Committee's Terms of Reference are available to download here.
Membership of the ABS Academic & Research Committee
Membership of the ABS Academic & Research Committee is open to members of the Association and vacant posts will be advertised to members by a call for expressions of interest.
For further information please contact Clare Brannigan at firstname.lastname@example.org
For information on the members of the Academic & Research Committee and their research interests please click here.
History of the ABS Academic & Research Committee
Following an open 'Academic and Research' break-out session at the ABS Conference & AGM in 2013, it was proposed that a formal Academic and Research within the ABS should be established. The purpose of the group would be to encourage academic endeavour and trial recruitment within the community of breast surgery. A call was made in September 2013 for candidates for the position of Chair and Secretary. Following a ballot of Trustees, Council and Academic and Research Network members, Professor Malcolm Reed was appointed as the Chair of the ABS Academic & Research Committee, and Mr Ramsey Cutress was appointed as Secretary to the Committee. All members of the ABS were invited to apply for membership of the ABS Academic & Research Committee and its inaugural meeting was held in July 2014.