Master of Surgery in Oncoplastic Breast Surgery(MS or PG Dip)
Join the University of East Anglia's award-winning online Specialist Clinical Mastership in Oncoplastic Breast Surgery - Europe's highest qualification lead by the UK's leading Oncoplastic Consultants.
Why choose this course?
• Developed with support from the Royal College of Surgeons (England), ABS, BAPRAS and an active 150-strong specialist faculty, we offer a unique solution to the training problems facing surgeons looking to progress in Oncoplastic Breast Surgery
• Using an innovative online delivery, developed in-house over six years by a specialist team at Norwich Medical School, you’ll experience a challenging and rewarding educational experience
• The Specialist Clinical Masterships (SCM) course is highly flexible and tailored specifically around the working lives of busy surgical practitioners
• Most teaching and learning is via our dedicated Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) which hosts a thriving online community of specialists from all over the world
• Our focus on assessment of surgical skills combined with the rapid development of consultant-level critical thinking and communication earned us the Gold award in 2013 for ‘Best Online Distance Learning Programme’
Your online learning experience
• As an SCM student you’ll engage fully online, in discussions on realistic cases, supported by continual assessments of your surgical knowledge, critical thinking and decision-making
• All participation is asynchronous so you will never need to log on at set times
• Each tutor-mediated forum discussion takes on a life of its own, fuelled by the growth of shared reading, personal experience and tutor guidance, all contributed at convenient times
• Each topic brings new expertise and insights that are directly applicable to your own cases
• In addition to online learning, if you are an EU or UK student you’ll attend face to face training days with tutors every 16 weeks. All training days are recorded and made available to our international students online.
What experience do I need?
The course is highly rigorous, but incredibly rewarding for a motivated candidate wishing to progress quickly in this specialist field. We accept trainees from ST5 and above in breast or plastic surgery from the UK and worldwide. If you are a surgeon with relevant experience who is not on a formal training programme we would also welcome your application which will be considered on merit.
Past students have cited a swift progression to more senior positions from having undertaken the Masters course. In particular, students report greater confidence in MDTs and their communication with peers and senior colleagues. You can expect to be able to apply knowledge and skills gained on the course directly to cases within weeks of starting.
We take assessment very seriously. There is a formal exam (2 papers) during each of the first two years for all Diploma and Masters students. Our international students sit the exam in their home countries. We also hold an OSCE exam, hosted in the UK for all Masters students to demonstrate their (non-surgical) procedural knowledge in planning and decision-making. All Masters students are monitored, through log-book evaluation, to ensure they have the necessary index surgical procedures required to qualify for the MS.
Acelity Top Student Award
The individual who attains the highest score in any module will have the cost of the following module covered by Acelity.
The deadline for applications for the 2017 course is 30th November 2016.
Click here to apply